Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rada

Our protagonist. Roll the 'r' and say "ahhh".

I wanted a mermaid design that seemed more like something that could actually live in the ocean, than a lonely sailor's wet dream.When I first designed the facial structure, back in highschool, I thought of sharks, but it ended up looking more like a cat's face. Fine by me, it means I have reference handy.

I might add some rank markings eventually, but for now, I like her sleek and clean.
Let's not question the tiny stick - I just wanted her to have something to hold and I haven't designed the merpeople's weapons yet.




The merpeople's eyes are reflective, they can NOT breathe above water and they communicate telepathically.They have very sharp teeth, with two extra long canines that tuck into their lower jaw. I figure that their skeleton is cartilaginous, like sharks, but I have yet to read up on whether that would work well with having arms. (It has no bearing on the story, I just like to know these things.)


Rada as a human:


Not terribly much to add without spoiling things. I wanted her to look solid and strong and worker-ish without making her look like a powerhouse. 
Her face has been giving me trouble lately, especially in inks. Not sure why.
I need to devote plenty of doodle time to it until it's second nature.




No comments:

Post a Comment